Sunday, March 4, 2007

call for an uncommon act

It was a Saturday afternoon, at the back of the college, I was really forcing myself to have a topic for my first blog. Of course I am only doing this because I have to...and it needs to be done right away so that I will not have deductions for passing it late. Nothing really enters my mind until one of my friend says "Eh, kung pulutin mo kaya lahat ng cigarrette butts na makita mo...cguro naman makakaisip ka na no'n..." (what if you pick all the cigarette butts that you see and you will definitely think of something). Without even thinking, my initial reaction was "Ayaw ko nga"(I dont want to...). In that very moment, I finally think of something to share.

To do or not to do, that is the question. I started it with this qoutation because I believe we can choose to do something about our surroundings or environment but we don't choose to do it.We all want a beautiful and clean environment but we always don't mind to do something to achieve it. Nowadays, I only see few people picking up trash of others. These people includes metroaides, garbage collectors and those who have their living dependent on it. It is very easy to understand the reason why they are doing it; basically, because it is their job and their living. But very seldom do the common people picking up trash for the reason that they want a clean surrounding. Somehow, I know many will agree to this insights of mine.

Sometimes, we are also the reason why their are litters in our environment. Let us admit that more than once we have thrown our trash not in the right place. Even the smallest piece of candy wrapper or cigarette butts that are not dispose correctly (if gathered) will have a great effect in our surroundings. I know I dont need to explain the effects because we are constantly reminded and are taught this things since elementary. But this common knowledge requires a very uncommon act..it is more common to see people throwing litters in the streets than to see people picking it. That is the reason why our environment becomes dirty and unhealthy to live with.

I believe its time to end my blog and do something to correct it. Well we must start acting now. I remember one time seeing myself picking up a trash because I see someone who I value (or admire) do it. Well basically I have done it because I respect that person even if she doesn't tell me to pick it up. Even if we can't do the talking, once we act about this, maybe we can influence a single soul to do something like what we do. Let's make this a common habit. We are the ones living in this surrounding or environment so basically we are also the ones responsible for keeping it clean.

Now, there is only a question to answer, to do or not to do? The answer is in our hands...

No comments: